(I have all sorts of other posts partially typed up, but I am unable to get myself to finish any of them.)
Somewhere in the dark regions of the spectrum of channels on TV, there is this one channel I’m fairly certain few watch religiously, FX. It is here that my latest gulity pleasure, and what is probably the coolest drama on TV, resides. Nip/Tuck — This is a well written, nicely acted and intriguingly set up pornography-meets-discovery-channel-meets-edgy-drama fest. I have to say, I was channel flipping late one night and I paused for just a teeny bit before I ended up being irreparably hooked. Now I sadly admit I’ve seen every single episode of the show. The show primarily revolves around the lives of a couple of plastic surgeons in Florida. Briefly,
– Everybody is insanely beautiful, on the outside
– Everybody cheats on/fantasizes about cheating on everybody else
– All intimate scenes are shown in full graphic detail
– All surgical procedures are shown in full graphic detail
– The humour, when it exists, is insanely dry and sarcastic
– And, when it exists, it’s such a grim take on the sad state of people, you won’t know whether to laugh or be disgusted
– All characters are heavily flawed, but somehow manage to get somewhere in life, just like real people
I know it sounds clichéd so far, but what initially appears to be something formulaic ends up being anything but. For instance, here is a teeny sample of the kinds of boudaries pushed,
– You get to see a bunch of 15-16 year old high-school kids at their first threesome
– You get to see a woman commiting suicide (to Rocketman) while her lover, who’s cheating on his wife to be with her, supports her
– You get to see doctors rebuilding a model’s clitoris so she can experience an orgasm, then sleep with her to test the procedure
IN EACH EPISODE!
It is definitely not for the young, the squeamish or the easily influenced. But for the rest of us, this is insanely gripping TV. If you haven’t watched it, or saw an ad somewhere and dismissed it as cheesy, just indulge me and watch an episode(, if you’re old and sane enough, of coure).
I’m fairly certain you’ll be hooked.
(God it feels good to be out of the closet about this.)