In what could best be described as an attempt to pamper myself, I’ve decided to build a computer capable of playing Doom ]|[. And play it, of course. I’ve decided to document some of the stuff along the way. You needn’t be afraid people. It’s just a game.
It all begins with intelligent selection of components. You first look at what you want done, and determine the hardware that will suffice, falling within the rough budget you’d initially decided on. You then drool over far cooler hardware, throw the budget out of the window and buy those components instead. The following is the current list of stuff I need to buy/have already bought leading toward that rig. Suggestions and so on are welcome.
- Motherboard – Asus P4C800-E DELUXE
- Processor – Intel Pentium 4 3.0E GHz, 800MHz FSB, 1MB L2 Cache, HT
- Memory – Crucial 512MB DDR PC-3200 (x4 = 2GB)
- Video Card – ATI RADEON X800 PRO, 256MB GDDR3
- Audio Card – Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
- Monitor – NEC MultiSync FP912SB 19″ CRT (I prefer CRTs to LCDs)
- Speakers – Logitech Z640 5.1 Speakers
- Hard drive 1 – Western Digital Special Edition 120GB 7200RPM IDE
- Hard drive 2 – Undecided (Higher RPM, smaller drive)
- Keyboard – Undecided
- Mouse – Logitech MX500 Optical Mouse
- CD/DVD R – Pioneer 16X DVD-ROM
- CD/DVD R/W – Plextor 12X DVD+RW/-RW Drive, Model PX-712A
- Floppy Drive – Mitsumi 1.44MB 3.5Inch Floppy Disk Drive
- Ethernet Card – Undecided, in addition to the inbuilt one
- Case – Undecided
- Thermal paste – Artic Silver 5
- Additional power/cooling – Undecided, depends on case
Am I missing anything?
Well wahgnube, the 2.5 grand or whatever all of this will eventually cost seems mighty steep to just play a game, is it really that cool?
How could you ask me such a question. It has a brilliant story line, it will rock. You have this Union Aerospace Corporation see, and they’re performing these super secret teleportation technology experiments, and (not surprisingly) due to some miscalculations and some arrogance, the UAC opens a portal to hell. Of course, the demons invade. And it’s your job to stop this invasion and prevent the Earth from being overrun by this demonic invasion.
Sheer brilliance, told ya. *Drool*